Tuesday, March 25, 2008
- Colombia is the only South American country that has coast on both oceans, Pacific and Atlantic. It has a total landmass of roughly 1,140,000 square kilometers, which is about 27 times the size of the Netherlands.
- Colombia has the world’s greatest diversity of orchid species (3,500) and birds (1,754 species). It ranks second in amphibians and third in reptile species. Out of the 14,000 species of butterfly in the world, about 3,000 of them, or 20%, are found in Colombia.
- 95% of the world’s emeralds come from Colombia and is the first Latin American producer of gold, silver, coal and ferronickel.
- 12% of the world’s coffee is produced in Colombia.
- At the region of Chocó, located in the Pacific region, it rains approx 10.000 mm per year.
- Colombia’s literacy rate: 92.5%
- Colombia is the world’s third-leading producer of women’s lingerie.
- According to the New Economic Foundation Happy Planet Index, Colombia has the second happiest population of the World (Not sure whether this is related to lingerie production though!). Vanuatu Island (Pacific Ocean / Population: 209,000) is at number one in this ranking.